Entertainment

FIFA President Floats Idea of Drake Performing at World Cup – Genius Move or Total Miss?

FIFA has an interest in escalating the Drake verses Kendrick Lamar battle on the world’s biggest sports stage.

Drake lost the Kendrick Lamar battle in 2024. The rapper was roundhouse kicked by “Meet the Grahams” and “Not Like Us.” Lamar has not made it easy on him in 2025, dominating the Grammy Awards and the Super Bowl Halftime Show. K. Dot’s album is even competing with Drake’s on the Billboard charts despite coming out months ago. But the battle isn’t over. The 6 God wants to get momentum back, and a recent comment by the FIFA President suggests how.

Gianni Infantino discussed the 2026 World Cup during a recent appearance on Good Day New York. The FIFA President was asked about the upcoming event, and host Rosanna Scotto suggested that he call on Drake to perform the World Cup Halftime Show. “I have a great idea for you for the Halftime,” she stated. “Drake… Kendrick Lamar dissed him at the Superbowl.” Infantino was not only intrigued by the idea, but noted that he already has a relationship with the 6 God. “Drake was with us when we announced the host cities.” The FIFA President liked the idea of stoking rivalry flames, and assured the host he’d reach out to Drizzy. “That’s a good idea,” he asserted. “I should have his number somewhere.”

Drake FIFA Ambassador

Gianni Infantino seems to be entertaining the idea of Drake performing at the 2026 FIFA World Cup.

The FIFA President sat down with Good Day New York, where host Rosanna Scotto asked about Drake playing the 2026 FIFA World Cup Halftime Show.

“I have a great idea for you for the halftime,” she said to Infantino. “Drake. Because you were at the Super Bowl—Kendrick Lamar dissed him at the Super Bowl.”

“So we can create a bit of a rivalry,” Infantino asked. “Yes,” she responded, clearly excited.  “That’s a good idea,” he said. “Actually, Drake was with us when we announced the host cities. I should have his number saved somewhere.” Last year, Drizzy chatted with Infantino about the World Cup, which has games set for Canada, the US, and Mexico next year. During their conversation, Drake talked up Toronto, which will be hosting the first match of the tourney on June 12, 2026. “Canada as a whole, we have an incredible melting pot. But in Toronto, there are just so many different cultural experiences,” the 6 God explained. “So when the world comes, it’s going to be beautiful.”

He also called his fellow Canucks “the nicest people you’ll ever meet” and that there’s “no passion like football passion.” FIFA has also tapped Coldplay’s Chris Martin and Phil Harvey to curate the World Cup’s first halftime show, which will take place on July 19, 2026, at New Jersey’s MetLife Stadium. Infantino announced the news on Wednesday during a press event in Dallas. “I can confirm the first-ever half-time show at a FIFA World Cup final in New Jersey, in association with Global Citizen,” he said. “This will be a historic moment for the FIFA World Cup and a show befitting the biggest sporting event in the world.”

While a Drake performance hasn’t been confirmed, Jamil “Mal” Clay seems to think it’s happening. Last November, the podcaster appeared on Earn Your Leisure, where host Rashad Bilal said that Kendrick Lamar is “the No. 1 person in rap music,” explaining that Lamar is “doing the Super Bowl” and has the “No. 1 album.” That statement prompted Mal to say, “Drake is doing the World Cup.” “That’s not the same,” Bilal responded. “It’s not the same, you’re right,” Mal said. “You know how many people watch the World Cup?” Bilal, Mal, and EYL co-host Ian Dunlap laughed. “I think they tallied 1.6 billion last time. Super Bowl is 123 million,” Mal added.

Related Posts

Alec Baldwin lost an $86 million sponsorship deal after calling Elon Musk a “damn idiot” and saying, “I can’t live here for 4 years.

Iп aп unexpected twist iп the worlds of Hollywood aпd bυsiпess, actor Αlec Baldwiп has foυпd himself embroiled iп coпtroversy after his pυblic commeпts aboυt tech mogυl Eloп…

KISS OF LIFE Faces Backlash Over Controversial Live Broadcast Agency Issues Apology

K-pop girl group KISS OF LIFE has come under fire after a controversial live broadcast celebrating member Julie’s birthday. The event, which had an “old-school hip-hop vibes” dress…

NewJeans Stays Silent in Court, But Fans Roar Louder Than Ever

On the morning of April 3, the Seoul Central District Court’s Civil Agreement Division 41 (Presiding Judge Jeong Hoe-il) held the first hearing in the lawsuit filed by…

Young Thug Breaks His Silence — But Prosecutors Slam the Door Shut

Recently, Young Thug allegedly shared a tweet calling Fulton County Investigator Marissa Viverito the “biggest liar in the DA office. ” It’s only been a few months since…

Kanye Declares War: ‘Vultures 1’ Isn’t Just an Album—It’s WW3

Kanye West shared a tracklist full of characteristically absurd song titles on social media on Thursday morning. He shared a track list for a new album titled, WW3, on X (formerly Twitter) early Thursday morning. While he didn’t confirm a release date in the post, DJ Akademiks reports that it will be dropping by surprise earlier than fans may expect. “New Ye album dropping tomorrow. WW3,” he wrote on X with fire emojis. The tracklist features a total of 11 songs, most of which have absurd names such as “Cosby,” “Virgil Let Me Down,” and more. Fans in the comments of Akademiks’ post don’t appear too excited about Kanye West’s announcement. “Ye really went from a legendary figure to dropping songs with Dave blunts,” one user wrote. Another added: “This is by far the most DIABOLICAL tracklist I’ve ever laid my eyes on.” Kanye West New Album Release Date As of 9:00 AM, EST, Kanye West has not released the WW3 album, but he’s built quite a reputation for being unreliable about release dates over the years. The announcement comes as West has been incessantly making headlines for his controversial antics online. He recently went on one rant about the late Virgil Abloh, who it seems he’ll be dissing again on the new album. After having complained about him during an interview with DJ Akademiks, last weekend, West elaborated in a post on X on Wednesday. He wrote: “Imagine a n****a steal your dream and is given your crown because he ain’t wear a red hat and then the culture you built mad at you speaking up. My own friends that knew how bad it hurt me came tryna check me for speaking up. I hate when n****s try to tell me what the f*** I can say.”   Xem bài viết này trên Instagram   Bài viết do DJ Akademiks (@akademiks) chia sẻ The WW3 news also arrives shortly after Kanye West dropped his highly-anticipated album, Bully, last month. He dropped that project by surprise alongside a short film directed by Hype Williams.

J Prince Weighs In: The Epic Clash Between 50 Cent and Rick Ross Heats Up Over Millennium Tour Drama!

In a recent turn of events in the ongoing feud between hip-hop titans 50 Cent and Rick Ross, J Prince has weighed in on the drama, highlighting the…